Vengeance (2016-2021) is currently closed.

Sign in to follow this  
Smelly

RuneLite being shutdown

Smelly
$ DONATOR $

https://runelite.net/blog/show/2018-05-15-RuneLite-threatened-to-shutdown

Discussed on Discord already, but throw in your thoughts about this; What is the future of 3rd party clients, will RL, and potentially all 3rd party clients, shutdown?

Isaac

Seems like osbuddy certainly has a say with jagex. Considering more than half of players use osb, they cannot simply shut it down. I think osb wants to shut down easy competition so they can make more money. Hosever, after they announced this a lot of people said they would stop playing because Jagex is being submissive to osb. Dont think osb will ever get shut down considering how far they have come. After all the outrage, maybe RL will not shut down. I think 3rd party clients are necessary in an age where their og client is pretty shite. You need world hopper for pking and potion timers help a lot etc. Supposedly they are announcing it at todays dev blog, but I will be in school. We will find out soon.

LeaksCity

osb is a corrupt boi

UkYBruv

Be interesting to see how this one plays out.. I hope we dont end up all having to use the standard client. 

Joseph

Better of tbh

DoingWerk

If anything gets shut down, it should be all 3rd party clients. Then jagex should hire the devs of those 3rd party clients to release an official osrs client with their features. I'd support that. Otherwise leave them all be.

Origen
$ DONATOR $

I don't like the fact that they remove a free-to-use 3rd party program, purely because Jagex themselves, doesn't benefit from Runelites presence. 

But then again, this is Jagex in a nutshell, can we expect anything else ?

Trouserdevil

If anything gets shut down, it should be all 3rd party clients. Then jagex should hire the devs of those 3rd party clients to release an official osrs client with their features. I'd support that. Otherwise leave them all be.

this exactly, if Jagex is going to shut the clients down due to SOME of the features the 3rd party clients have, they ought to improve their own client with the extra features that they are not against, like the timers etc

LeaksCity

this exactly, if Jagex is going to shut the clients down due to SOME of the features the 3rd party clients have, they ought to improve their own client with the extra features that they are not against, like the timers etc

They are only pretending to shut down 3rd party clients as an excuse to wrap up RuneLite I reckon. I don't think they are going to shut down OSB. 

Trouserdevil

They are only pretending to shut down 3rd party clients as an excuse to wrap up RuneLite I reckon. I don't think they are going to shut down OSB. 

Seriously? Thats stupid as hell tbh. They should use some of the extra funds from the membership price increase to just buy out osb and have their team work on the native client

Origen
$ DONATOR $

Seriously? Thats stupid as hell tbh. They should use some of the extra funds from the membership price increase to just buy out osb and have their team work on the native client

If you're familiar with Jagex Mods streams, you will notice that all of them uses OSBuddy. That's pretty fucked, when OSRS actually has its own client - don't you think?