Vengeance (2016-2021) is currently closed.

Sign in to follow this  
int 0x80

So I learned how to rewire a 20 year old house

int 0x80

So the past few weeks my parent's house (mansion) has received a giant upgrade in terms of internet speed. 

VfsrPYI.png

That being said, with a new ISP and new equipment needed to benefit from the speed, the technology currently in the house (wiring from 1999, newer tech from 2011) had to be replaced. 

Being the comp sci major and resident IT expert, I was immediately tasked with getting everything working as normal as quickly as possible, but because we run a metric shit ton of services over wifi (Pool Controller, Sound System, Printers, TVs, you name it), none of this was going to be easy. 

We quickly realized the wifi from the router wasn't going to be anywhere near effective (7k sq. ft. home with an ungodly amount of walls), so we got a Netgear Range extender (AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Range Extender).

DBTEwL9.png

This thing claimed to support 10k sq ft. and after testing it for an entire day to see where it would best work as well as 2.4 GHz vs 5GHz bands, I found the best place to be in the kitchen. Then it didn't work. It dropped to 10Mb/s and even lower. 

The next day I figured I'd give the other option a chance. I changed it from Extender mode to Access Point. It worked amazingly! The only issue is that you need an ethernet connection to it.. Well shit we have a grand total of 0 ethernet ports in the house.. But we have ethernet line ran behind all of the phone jacks! So what the fuck do I do with an ethernet wire? I have absolutely no clue how to use it.

And so I got to learning!

4PlJpK5.jpg

After a few test runs and really nailing down how to terminate the ethernet wire with a jack and my trusty plastic push-down tool, I installed my first ethernet port and placed a snazzy wall plate over it to seal the job up. But wtf now I have a working port and no connection?? TO THE BASEMENT!

In my basement we have one of these panels from 1999 that a telcom company installed and it's an absolute shitshow, imagine the two pictures below combined but with about 5x as many wires (TV's, ~28 phones lines, and more :] ) . So using a wire tracer that I picked up from Home Depot and testing every possible wire, I found the right one and hooked up a female ethernet jack onto it and used a regular ethernet cable to connect it to my modem.

oKhyqU2.jpg

QLqRKlq.jpg

After I had it all figured out, I did it for a few more rooms and it was still extremely painful. Well finally everything started to work as expected and slowly kinks were being worked out. I started getting on the cable management grind and removed all the ancient stuff and a few coax splitters. Well those few coax splitters were for 2 of our new TVs.. oops. After testing the other 20ish TV coax cables, I finally got the right ones plugged in and solved. And that's when I hear it. "NIIIIIICK!" Fuck me. "THE PRINTER ISN'T WORKING!!!" Rusrs.

After ~8 hours of testing different options from Netgear Powerline AVs to moving the printer around, I got the idea that maybe if we connect the Access Point from earlier to the router instead of the modem, we can print even if we're not on the same network as the printer.

It worked. ??? Still not entirely sure how, but using an AP on a 5GHz band and a printer on a separate network on a 2.4 GHz band, we can print. 

TL;DR: I'm now a certified electrician.

Haven't been on frequently (you may see me off and on) lately because of everything above and unfortunately missed the last few clan events because of it, but I hope nothing comes up tomorrow and we can smash Rev :) Thanks for making it this far lmao.

Basil
$ DONATOR $

Give me some internetspeed

mitzz

shud of pmed me i am an it and cud of helped you out

was a nice read.

int 0x80

2M OSRS GP/10Mb

Grabbin

2M OSRS GP/10Mb

Ill buy 50*10

int 0x80

2M OSRS GP/10Mb

Ill buy 50*10

Pm me in game and i'll reserve packets

PabloSenti

thats fast!

Sybren
$ DONATOR $

Holy shit that speed :o

I Sam I
$ DONATOR $

next level speed,should see the internet in china, there internet there is next fucking level

Kev

can I use your internet 

Miltz

Jesus fucking christ thats heavy.