Vengeance (2016-2021) is currently closed.

EatTaco

Computer Question

EatTaco

So I've always had a Mac, got an iMac about 10 years ago (which I still have) and a MacBook Pro 5 years for college. My MacBook is just now on its last leg and I'm about to get a new computer. I planned on getting another MacBook Pro fully speced out, but I don't know if I can get a new one without a touch bar and it would be kind of hard to play runescape without the F keys as actual keys. I'd use it mainly for school work, with some runescape use. I didn't know if another laptop would be that great or I I'm better of just getting a PC desktop to use for gaming along with the MacBook Pro. What are everyone's thoughts? And what computer(s) would you recommend if so?

Trouserdevil

Personally recommend having a windows desktop for gaming. If you really prefer apple's OS for laptops then I would just recommend getting one for non gaming use. Once you run a windows machine for gaming, life gets easier. I used to use a macbook for gaming and the difference was quite noticeable

chimayrouge

Well, as a computer science student I don't reccomend mac at all. My personal 'setup' is that I have a gaming desktop which I assembled myself which I also use  for games other than runescape. For school/work I bought myself a lightweight pc which is capable of running the basic programs smoothly but don't expect any graphical/mathematical power from it. I run Linux Ubuntu on it since I find it more convenient but Windows should do fine as well. For the price of one Macbook pro you should be able to buy a desktop and and a decent laptop easily. If you want some more details of what to buy for what purpose or antything like that, feel free to contact me

Profanity

Well, as a computer science student I don't reccomend mac at all. My personal 'setup' is that I have a gaming desktop which I assembled myself which I also use  for games other than runescape. For school/work I bought myself a lightweight pc which is capable of running the basic programs smoothly but don't expect any graphical/mathematical power from it. I run Linux Ubuntu on it since I find it more convenient but Windows should do fine as well. For the price of one Macbook pro you should be able to buy a desktop and and a decent laptop easily. If you want some more details of what to buy for what purpose or antything like that, feel free to contact me

This dude said it all :)

Jernt

chimayrouge

Haha thanks Bryan

Brandon
$ DONATOR $

I'd have to agree with the non-Mac consensus.  I'm a bit of a die-hard when it comes to Windows though.  Just could never get used to the Mac OS..

EatTaco

Well, as a computer science student I don't reccomend mac at all. My personal 'setup' is that I have a gaming desktop which I assembled myself which I also use for games other than runescape. For school/work I bought myself a lightweight pc which is capable of running the basic programs smoothly but don't expect any graphical/mathematical power from it. I run Linux Ubuntu on it since I find it more convenient but Windows should do fine as well. For the price of one Macbook pro you should be able to buy a desktop and and a decent laptop easily. If you want some more details of what to buy for what purpose or antything like that, feel free to contact me

Thank you everyone for your input! I'd love to hear what you have to say about recommendations ????

chimayrouge

A lot depends on what you want your PC to be capable of. 

Want a gaming PC, prioritse your monitor and GPU (graphical card)

want a pc for powerful applications/programs, look for high RAM, SSD hard disk and a good processor: i5+

Hope this helps a little bit :)

EatTaco

Do you have any specific recommendations on any computer models/monitors good performance for price for a gaming setup for a desktop? I've seen computers ranging from $2500-$3000+ but I didn't know what I really cost to get a good one or where to start

Ocarina

You seem quite open to advice, I like that.

For the price of one Macbook pro you should be able to buy a desktop and and a decent laptop easily. If you want some more details of what to buy for what purpose or antything like that, feel free to contact me

This.

I have a macbook pro from High School that basically doesn't work anymore, and as soon as I upgraded to a windows desktop I never looked back.