Vengeance (2016-2021) is currently closed.

Sign in to follow this  
Wishz0

Wishz0's Wildlife Adventures

Wishz0

Since my intro garnered several questions, stemming primarily from Sybren, about my work and travels as a wildlife biologist I decided that I should throw together a post featuring some of the photos I have taken over the past year and a half.

Going forward if people are interested in the work I do i can update this as I do different jobs. Currently I am working with white-tailed deer, but over the course of the next 9 months I will be working with some endangered ground squirrels, a variety of fish and amphibians. 

8iKPH2R.jpg

This is a male Attwater Prairie Chicken. In this photo he is participating in a lek, during which multiple males gather together and show off for the females. This species is highly endangered with only ~120-150 left in the wild, the majority of which are only found on one wildlife refuge in Texas.

SNsOOa8.jpg

This is what is left of a white-tailed deer carcass. This doe was fit with a GPS collar (shown on the carcass) last year, but due to old age she succumb to predation by coyotes earlier this winter. When we analysed her tooth we found that she was 19 years old, making her the second oldest deer ever recorded in the state of Maine.

VyLT1nK.jpg

This is a picture of a rocket net I deployed a little over a month ago on 4 white-tailed deer. This is just one of four methods that my crew uses to capture deer for our study. The study focuses on 5 years of deer capture, currently in year 2, and fitting does with GPS collars in order to determining winter survival rates.

qG8jwfu.jpg

Here one of my colleagues and I are unraveling a sedated fawn from the rocket net in order to take some measurements and ear tag it.

h1cbp8x.jpg

My treasure, this is a matched set of antlers I got off of a 220 lb+ buck I wrestled in one of our clover traps (basically a big mesh cage). He had already dropped his antlers before I got in with him, I'm not some maniac  :P

Sybren
$ DONATOR $

I love reading topics like this bro :D it's like watching Discovery / National Geografic :D

Your life is so much more exciting than mine is :D

Far Easts

pretty cool stuff man seems like a cool job

Teddayyy

Dope life man! Nature is cool af